Frequently Asked Questions

I received a subpoena to appear in court, what should I do?

If you received a subpoena, you are required by law to appear as instructed. A subpoena is an order by a Court requiring you to appear for a scheduled court date. If you refuse to appear, the Court does have the authority to issue an order for your arrest.

Will the case be continued if I'm not there?

If you are subpoenaed to court as a victim or witness and you do not appear, the judge assigned to the case may not permit and continuance and the case will be dismissed. If you are the defendant and you fail to appear in court, a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

How do I file criminal charges against an individual?

If you are the victim of a crime or believe a crime has occurred, please contact the police department where the offense occurred. The police will investigate and present the case to the Prosecutor's Office for review. Please note that you cannot drop charges; only the assistant prosecuting attorney, with the judge's permission, can dismiss criminal charges.

How do I obtain information about my court case?

Please contact the Greene County Clerk of Court by going here. If you wish to call the Clerk's Office, please call (937) 562-5290 for felony criminal cases, (937) 562-4000 for all juvenile cases, (937) 376-7294 for misdemeanor cases being heard in Xenia Municipal Court or (937) 754-3040 for misdemeanor cases being heard in Fairborn Municipal Court.

How do I obtain legal advice or assistance?

The Prosecutor's Office is not permitted to provide legal advice to the general public. If you seek more information, you may contact the Greene County Public Defender's Office at 937-562-5041 or Legal Aid of Western Ohio at 937-449-8131.