Clock Tower

Out of the Clock Tower



Hello and welcome to the Greene County Archives' blog, "Out of the Clock Tower".  Please join us as we share information on archival issues, news, special events, and highlights from our collection.

Before the archives program began in Greene County in 1996, permanent records were stored in every conceivable space, in basements, garages, and closets. Usually they were in boxes of various shapes and sizes, although seldom adequately labeled, but occasionally they were just in loose piles of books and papers. Most notable were the old records stuffed into the clock tower of the County Courthouse, where they shared their home with pigeon droppings.

Now, there is a clean, environmentally controlled, well appointed location for the county archives, where our historical records are housed in standard sized boxes on steel shelves. We have taken note of their journey in the name for our blog.

View All Posts

Jan 04

Historic Buildings of Greene County

Posted on January 4, 2019 at 10:51 AM by Melissa Dalton

In the August 21, 1974 issue of the Xenia Daily Gazette, there was a full page article highlighting sketches of historic structures in the County (Fig 1). These felt pen sketches by Richard L. Mauck, were commissioned by the Ohio Bell Telephone Company, which had a location in downtown Xenia. According to the article, Ohio Bell had a custom of decorating their local offices with sketches of historic structures in the region, but the Xenia location was the first to have work by Mauck, a native of Columbus.

Fig 1. The Xenia Daily Gazette, dated August 21, 1974 (JPG)
Fig 1. Xenia Daily Gazette, dated August 21, 1974

The ten buildings selected for this project were the Greene County Courthouse, St. Brigid Catholic Church, Trinity United Methodist Church, the Steele Building, the Moorehead House, the Snediker Barn, the Glossinger Cultural Center, the Galloway Cabin, Shawnee Park Pavilion, and the Kelley Company Office Building. As many of you know, one of the worst tornado outbreaks in history hit Xenia in the spring of 1974, just a few months prior to the above article. This system consisted of 148 tornadoes, struck ten states (as well as Ontario, Canada), all within a 24-hour period. The Xenia tornado was one of the worst, ripping through the area, leaving a path of destruction. Almost all the buildings illustrated in these drawings were heavily damaged or destroyed in the devastating storm. These sketches were a way for Ohio Bell to preserve and memorialize the historic structures. Today, only four of the buildings remain – the Courthouse, Kelley Co. Office Building, Shawnee Park Pavilion, and the Galloway Cabin. Over the next few weeks, we will spotlight each of the structures, providing our readers with a brief history of each. As these buildings are well-known historic structures in Greene County, we have featured them in previous blog posts. Links to blogs on the Courthouse, St. Brigid Catholic Church, and the Steele Building are provided below.


Architectural drawing of the Courthouse (JPG)
Architectural drawing of Courthouse circa 1900

Blog on St. Brigid Catholic Church: http://www.co.greene.oh.us/Blog.aspx?IID=25#item

Image of St. Brigid Catholic Church (JPG)
Image from "An Illustrated History of St. Brigid's Church, 1898, Xenia, OH”

Blog on Steele Building: https://www.co.greene.oh.us/Blog.aspx?IID=68

Image of the Steele Building (JPG)
Steele Building circa 1908

Next week, we will delve into the history of the Trinity United Methodist Church, which was razed prior to the tornado due to the changing needs of the congregation. Stay tuned to learn more!

Until Next Time...

Sources:
An Illustrated History of St. Brigid's Church, 1898, Xenia, OH
Greene County, 1803-1908, edited by A Committee of the Home Coming Association, 1908.
Greene County Archives



Comments

You must log in before leaving your comment